October 21, 2022
Prep Time: 30min.
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hrs 30 min.
Serving Size: Serves 4 people
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 7 strips of Seven Sons Pork Bacon
- 2 lbs Seven Sons Beef Boneless Chuck Roast, cut into 1.5in pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into slices on the bias
- 1 white onion, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 750ml red wine, preferably from Burgundy or Cote Du Rhone
- 16 oz beef broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3-4 stalks of thyme, stalks removed, and leaves chopped
- 1 lb box of cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tbsp softened butter divided
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 lb bag of frozen pearl onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped for garnish
How to Make It:
- Set the oven temperature to 275F.
- In a large cast iron pan, add the olive oil and cook the bacon until crisp, approximately 7-8 minutes. Crumble and set aside.
- In the same pot along with the fat rendered from the bacon, sear the beef on all sides approximately 4-5 minutes total. Do this step in batches as necessary so as not to crowd the pot. Remove the seared beef and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onions, carrots and garlic and cook on medium flame until the onions are slightly brown, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add the bacon bits and beef into the pot. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the wine and the beef broth into the pot. The liquid level should be approximately 1 inch above the meat. Add more broth if necessary.
- Add the tomato paste and thyme. Stir gently.
- Bring the pot to a simmer.
- Once simmering, place an oven-safe lid on the pot and place pot into the oven for approximately 1.5 hours.
- Optional step: In the meantime, sauté the sliced mushrooms in 1 Tbsp of butter until brown. Set aside.
- Once the stew has cooked in the oven for 1.5 hours, remove the pot from the oven and place it back on the stove. Remove the lid. Continue simmering on low flame.
- Mix the flour and the remaining butter together and stir it into the pot until well dissolved.
- Add the bag of frozen pearl onions and the sauteed (or raw) mushrooms to the pot.
- Simmer on low for approximately 10 minutes until the pearl onions are heated through.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve alongside crusty garlic bread or a side of mashed potatoes.